Dual Enrollment

Dual Enrollment




A high school student that takes at least one course at his or her high school while taking one or more college courses at MSU is dual enrolled.  In 2012, new legislation was passed allowing for more students to take advantage of dual enrollment while in high school.  Beginning fall 2012, students in grades 9 - 12 can dual enroll without having passed the current merit exam but they must have passed some readiness tests. Students should check with their local school districts for additional information on qualifying tests.  Students in grades 9 or 10 can only take two dual enrollment courses during their first year, and cannot take more than four courses during their remaining years of high school.  A student in grades 11 or 12 cannot take more than six dual enrollment courses per year.  Students are limited to ten dual enrollment courses during their high school years.  They also must be enrolled in at least one class at their home high school.

Students who do not complete their dual enrollment course are responsible for repaying their school district any money the school district does not receive from the postsecondary institution. 

All students, grades 9 - 12 as well as non-public school students, can receive tuition assistance from their school.  The formula to calculate tuition assistance is available on the Michigan Department of Education web page or by contacting your school district.  Non-public school can be reimbursed from the state for dual enrollment tuition they contribute to their students' tuition. 

Initial MSU Enrollment

To enroll for classes at MSU while in high school, follow these steps:

  1. Fill out an MSU Dual Enrollment By High School Student application, being sure to include the necessary signatures from your school. These forms are available through your high school guidance office or click below on application: Dual Enrollment By High School Student application.
  2. Get an MSU Postsecondary Enrollment Billing Authorization Form from the download section of the Dual Enrollment section (or its equivalent from your school )and be sure that both school officials and your parents sign it.
  3. Mail your application form and a copy of your transcript to the address below. If possible, include the Billing Authorization Form, or a statement from the school district indicating the amount they will pay. If there is a delay at the school level regarding this, send in your application and transcript, then send the Billing Authorization Form when provided by the school.
    The Office of Admissions and Scholarships
    Michigan State University
    Hannah Administration Building
    426 Auditorium Road, Room 250
    East Lansing, Michigan 48824-2604
    Attention:  Lisa Counsellor

    PLEASE NOTE: The process up to this point will admit you to MSU as a lifelong education student, but you will not be enrolled in any courses until you complete the following steps (5-7).

  4. You will receive a letter of admission as a dual enrollment high school student from Michigan State University for the following semester. In that letter will be information on the next steps you will need to take, including the option of calling or meeting with the director of Gifted and Talented Education, phone: 517-432-2129. If you are planning to enroll in a course based on an AP exam score, then in April or May you should enroll for the course which you expect to place into. This will help secure your place in the section that works best for your schedule. The director of Gifted and Talented Education will help you determine which course you can expect to take. As soon as you receive your AP score report you need to send a copy of it to:
    Gifted and Talented Education
    Kellogg Center
    219 S. Harrison Road, Room 8
    East Lansing, MI 48824  
    Or fax it to 517-432-9541
  5. Upon receiving a copy of your application from Admissions, Lindsay Codispot in the GATE office will review your application and desired courses and communicate with MSU departments to help you to get overrides so you can enroll. If you require more advising on what courses to take, you should contact Honors College Advisor, Christine Gajda at gajda@msu.edu, or Honors College main phone: 517-355-2326. 
  6. If you want to take something other than the first year of either a foreign language or calculus, but you have not taken an AP test, you will need to take an MSU placement test. For information on how to schedule dual enrollment courses, use our Schedule Builder Tutorial.
  7. Students should activate their MSUNet ID and e-mail service as soon as possible. This can be done by going to http://netid.msu.edu and following the instructions given.
  8. A bill will be sent by Michigan State University to your school district for its portion, and an electronic bill will be sent to you for your portion of the payment. Notification of billing and instructions on accessing the bill will be sent to the students MSU e-mail address. This account should be checked frequently for new e-mail. Your bill should indicate a credit for the amount that your school district will be billed. Please note: even if your school district is paying the entire amount, an electronic bill will be sent to you showing no charge. The bill stub still needs to be returned as directed in order for you to be registered.

Grades can be accessed via MSU StuInfo. Simply log in with you MSU NetID and password.

Subsequent MSU Enrollment

You will be able to enroll for future courses at MSU as a High Achieving High School Student without submitting another application, but you will need to have a Billing Authorization Form filled out by your school before each semester. That should be sent to:

The Office of Admissions and Scholarships
Michigan State University
Hannah Administration Building
426 Auditorium Road, Room 250
East Lansing, Michigan 48824-2604

You should contact Lindsay Codispot in Gifted and Talented Education with your new course information so she can assist with overrides so you can be enroll.

If you choose to come to MSU after high school graduation, you will need to fill out a regular MSU application. If you are accepted here, you will need to transfer the MSU credits you earned as a high school student from lifelong education to your degree program.

Course Credit

All students who successfully complete a course at Michigan State University earn MSU credit and generate an MSU transcript. When students apply to other colleges/universities they need to request that the MSU transcript be sent to that institution. That can be done by calling the Registrar's Office at 517-355-3300.

The institution a student enrolls in always has the choice of determining which transfer credits it accepts. Before dual enrolling, some students may wish to contact an admissions advisor at a college they are considering attending to inquire about their policies on transferring credits.



Basic eligibility requirements:

  • Be in grades 9 -12.
  • Have completed qualifying readiness tests per local school district.
  • Must be enrolled in a at least one class at their home school.

Please consult pages 4-7 of the following document for specifics on eligibility and allowable courses. 


Rules and Regulations

Rules & Regulations: 

MSU Course Requirements

The MSU courses taken by the students:

  • must not be offered by the student's high school or there is a scheduling conflict beyond the student's control (determined by local school board).
  • must not be in the areas of hobbycraft, recreation, physical education, theology, divinity or religion.
  • can occur during the Fall, Spring, or Summer semester (Note: High Schools are not obligated to pay a portion of the tuition for classes taken during the Summer semester.)


Payment for fine arts courses is at the discretion of the local school board.


Cost / Fee: 


To calculate your estimated MSU tuition, please go to: http://www.ctlr.msu.edu/COStudentAccounts/TuitionCalculatorFall.aspx and follow the steps below:

  1. Select the semester for which you will be enrolled.

  2. Enter the information for the required fields.  Note that for #2, Your Level, you should choose “lifelong education student-undergraduate”.

  3. After submitting the request, your full tuition will display in red text.  If your district is subsidizing tuition, your cost could be lower.


Covered Costs

A portion of the tuition for each course may be covered by the student's high school district for the postsecondary enrollment courses taken at MSU. Page 10 of the following document describes what school districts are required to pay and provides example calculations.



To learn about Dual Enrollment Allowances by School, go to:


Costs Not Covered

The following costs are not covered:

  • Transportation
  • Parking
  • Books