Accelerated Chinese Experience
Grades: Application Grades 6-9
PROGRAM BEGINS: Fall Semester 2022
ACE APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 11, 2022
ACE EXTENDED DEADLINE: August 10, 2022
ACE is a collaborative effort between GATE and the College of Education at Michigan State University. ACE is designed for qualified students in grades 6-10 interested in learning language arts overall and specifically the Mandarin language. This accelerated program aims at providing students opportunities to study Mandarin and get ready for College Board’s AP Chinese Exam in three years while meeting the Michigan World Language Standards and American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) language proficiency guidelines.
Features of the Program
- An experienced Chinese language teacher (native speaker) teaches the course and may be assisted by Teaching Assistants who are native speakers and/or MSU students with experience in teaching Chinese language.
- Each course is open only to eligible students who have demonstrated Chinese language learning skills and the commitment to pursue language arts in an intensive accelerated course while maintaining satisfactory performance in other middle/high school courses.
- In addition to weekly class, regular online tutoring sessions are scheduled weekly to provide students with an opportunity to receive help on both current and previous material and practice. Attendance at these sessions is optional, but strongly encouraged for students who feel the need for some help or feedback.
Program Objectives & Outcomes
By the end of the ACE program, students will be able to:
- Learn in three years the content usually covered in the traditional five-year high school Chinese curriculum.
- Demonstrate mastery (obtaining a 3, 4 or 5) on the AP Chinese Language test at the end of the third year.
- Demonstrate the use of Chinese language in reading, speaking, listening, and writing skills.
- Understand Chinese culture and customs.
- Interact with other students who have common abilities and interests.
Students who complete the first two years of ACE program receive credits on their high school transcripts for Chinese language (foreign language requirement); a written evaluation documents mastery and a grade for each course.