Students can start LEAF in 7th, 8th, 9th, or 10th grade. For example, a student who wants to start LEAF in 7th grade needs to apply in the spring semester of 6th grade.
Students must submit the following with their LEAF application:
- ACT or SAT scores of at least:
- ACT English: 21 and ACT Critical Reading: 22
- Old SAT taken in January 2016 or prior:
- SAT Critical Reading: 520
- New SAT taken in March 2016 or after:
- SAT Evidence Based Reading & Writing: 560
- Teacher Recommendation Form from your current English or foreign language teacher
- Most recent grade report
LEAF Diagnostic Testing is by appointment only and is available for students with prior French language experience who may be able to place into a higher level of LEAF. Students already enrolled in French classes will be asked to take a diagnostic test consisting of written and oral components so they can be placed into the appropriate level/semester of the program. The GATE office will contact you when we are ready to administer the test.
Please note: Students need to meet the criteria for the ACT or SAT. Students need to take and submit scores for only one of these tests. An IQ test is also acceptable instead of these standardized test scores.
**If you took the Old version of the SAT (January 2016 or prior), you DO NOT need to take the New version. Your scores on the Old SAT can qualify you for GATE programs. See the minimum scores for the Old SAT listed above.**