Before you Apply
Below are the steps you can take to prepare for applying:
Review program details and eligibility requirements
- View the GATE Program Guide or browse this website, and decide which program(s) you are interested in applying for.
- Remember to check the Eligibility requirements for each program!
Register for testing!
- Testing is required for all GATE programs. Check the Minimum Test Scores table on page 5 of the GATE Program Guide, to see accepted tests and scores.
Save your Test Score results
- After you receive your test scores results, make sure to save them!
- When applying online, you will need to upload a copy of your test score results.
- Save your results digitally (scan/save as PDF) so that you are ready to upload the results in our online application system.
Save your Grade Report
- A copy of your most recent grade report is required for all programs.
- Save your grade report digitally (scan/save as PDF) so that you are ready to upload your Grade Report in our online application system.
- Think about which teacher you will ask to fill out a recommendation form for you. The teacher must be in the subject area of the program you are applying for. View acceptable teacher subjects for each program here.
- IMPORTANT: The PDF/paper form we have used in years past has been retired.
- We will NOT accept the old PDF/paper Teacher Recommendation form.
- Additionally, we will NOT accept recommendations in "letter" format.
- Our new Teacher Recommendation form is online only. For more details, view the new teacher recommendation process.
Think about your Essay response
- Students may view the essay questions for each program, so that they can think about their response before applying.