If you are in need of testing scores for your GATE application, the CogAT is administered by MSU GATE online. We are accepting the CogAT in lieu of the SAT or ACT for all GATE programs. The CogAT is available for 3-10 grade students. We will add additional testing dates as needed.
Grades 3-7 Online (3:30pm start time)
Wednesday, February 9, 2022
Tuesday, February 22, 2022
Friday, March 25, 2022
Tuesday, April 12, 2022
Thursday, May 5, 2022
Tuesday, May 10, 2022
Grades 6-10 Online (3:30pm start time)
Tuesday, March 15, 2022
Wednesday, April 20, 2022
Tuesday, April 26, 2022
1. The CogAT test will take approximately 2.5 -3 hours. There will be nine sections. Each section is timed at 10 minutes each. There will be one break in the test.
2. To register for the online CogAT, you must have the following technology requirements. Please note: no IPad minis allowed for the CogAT.
3. When will I receive my test scores? The test scores will be uploaded to your GATE application within 14 business days. Test scores will be emailed to the parent email on the registration form.
4. During the online testing session, you will need to be in a quiet place, with a computer, webcam and microphone and access to the Zoom platform.
5. You will need to be logged into the CogAT site and Zoom at least 15 minutes prior to the testing time.
6. For in-person testing, you will need to arrive 15 minutes prior to the testing time. If you arrive after the scheduled testing time, you will need to reschedule.
7. If you are disconnected or having technology issues on the test date, GATE will offer you to reschedule you for the next testing date (one time) at no additional cost.
8. During the online testing session, you will need to be in a quiet place, with a computer, webcam and microphone. Because this is a standardized test, students MUST HAVE CAMERA ON 100% of the time.
9. The CogAT testing fee is $59.50. All CogAT fees are non-refundable. If you need assistance with the testing fee, please email GATE at firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. Once registered, you will receive the CogAT instructions at least a day before the test.
11. For GATE applicants, all students will be tested one test level above their grade level using Form 8.
12. Studying for the CogAT? The CogAT test is an abilities test and not an achievement test like the ACT or SAT. The CogAT does not measure how much a student has learned, but focuses instead on a student's ability to display cognitive abilities that research have associated with academic success.
13. Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.
PLEASE NOTE: Michigan State University and the office of Gifted and Talented Education are not affiliated with the CogAT test or Houghton Mifflin. Testing score results will not be shared with NUMATS or any other organization without prior permission.