Does MSU GATE have any programs for elementary school students?

MSU GATE does not have any programs for elementary school students - student can begin participating in MSU GATE programs in grade 7. There are other local options for elementary students through Spartan Youth Programs, Ingham ISD, and LCC GATE. 

Is the summer High Achievers program still being offered?

Unfortunately, the summer High Achievers program is not being offered as of Summer 2015. However, Dual Enrollment allows students to enroll in college courses. 

How do I apply for GATE programs?

All program applications are now completed online. There are no longer paper or PDF applications. Reference the How to Apply page for a step-by-step guide. 

When is the Application Deadline?

May 6, 2016 for all Summer 2015 and Academic Year 2015-16 programs.

What are the Application Fees?

  • Summer Programs (MST@MSU, CSI, and Future DOcs): $100 Application Fee
  • Academic Year Programs CHAMP / ISHALL / LEAF at all locations: There is no fee due at the time of application; however, upon acceptance into a program each student pays an initial, non-refundable $100 reservation fee confirming his/her intent to participate. Returning Year 2 students must pay a non-refundable $50 reservation fee confirming their intent to continue participating in the program. 

Is my school district responsible for the costs of any programs?

You will need to check with your school's business office staff to learn if financial assistance is available.

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

Fill out the Financial Aid Application Form and submit it with your application. A copy of your current tax return is also required - see the form for details.

What types of standardized tests will be accepted?

For application processing purposes the standardized tests we request that you send in with your application are either the SAT or the ACT (see requirements for each program on the GATE website, www.gifted.msu.edu). An IQ test can also be submitted in place 

How do I schedule an ACT or SAT test?

Visit the ACT and SAT Testing page for more information.

What if I don't meet the minimum test score?

Your transcript will be reviewed and considered. There is no guarantee that you will be accepted into the program without the necessary test scores.

How are Academic Year program grades reported to my school?

CHAMP / LCHAMP / ISHALL / LEAF: Semester grades will be sent via e-mail to your school, your parents, and your MSU e-mail address.

Dual Enrollment FAQs

How do I dual enroll at MSU while still in high school?

Review the Dual Enrollment Application Process.

How do I receive my grades from Dual Enrollment courses?

Grades are available online using StuInfo. You must login with your MSU NetID and password

How do I request a transcript ?

You can request a transcript online through the Registrar’s Office. The Registrar’s Office provides multiple ways to request a transcript. To request through the internet, you will need your MSU NetID and password to verify your identity, or you can use your PID and PAN. You can have a paper transcript sent or you can opt for a PDF version to be sent electronically. A credit card or an ACH payment will be needed to pay for online requests.

There is also the option to request a transcript by postal mail if you would rather pay by check or money order.

How do I enroll for classes as a Dual Enrollment student?

For information on how to schedule dual enrollment courses, use our Schedule Builder Tutorial.

FAQs about MSU Undergraduate Study

How do I apply for an undergraduate program at MSU?

Go to the Office of Admissions website and there will be a student toolbox on the right hand side of the content. There you can click on the “Apply Now” button and it will take you through the application process.

Even if you participated in Dual Enrollment, you must complete an application for undergraduate addmision

How do I apply to the MSU Honors College?

Student interested in becoming members of the Honors College should first apply for admission to Michigan State University (see below). A completed application for MSU admission serves as the application for Honors College membership; there is no separate application process. Invitations are extended within 4 to 6 weeks of the MSU admission to high school students who:

  • rank in the top 5% of their high school graduating class;
  • have an ACT composite score of at least 30 or an SAT score of at least 1360 (Critical Reading & Math sections only). MSU requires an ACT or SAT with a writing component.

More information can be found at honorscollege.msu.edu/honors-college-admissions.