To apply, students must currently be in grades 6, 7, 8, or 9. Students can start CHAMP in 7th, 8th, 9th, or 10th grade. For example, a student applying to start CHAMP in 7th grade needs to apply in the spring semester of 6th grade. Although students may be younger than the grades stated, the nature of the acceleration and the high school level content, no exceptions to younger students will be granted.
Students must submit the following to complete their CHAMP application:
- ACT, SAT, or CogAT test scores of at least:
- ACT Math: 20 and ACT Composite: 21
- SAT Math: 530 and SAT Total: 1000
- PSAT 8/9 Math: 430 (We will accept the PSAT 8/9 if the test was completed 7th grade or prior. Additional testing (such as the CogAT) may be required if the testing in the PSAT was not administered as an above grade level test when taken or if the score does not meet the minimum requirements.)
- CogAT: 90th Percentile (quantitative)
- Register to take the CogAT with MSU GATE HERE
- Teacher Recommendation Form from your math teacher: During your online application, you will be asked to provide the teacher's school email address, and we will send them an email requesting that they fill out an online recommendation for you. (Do NOT ask your teacher to write you a letter of recommendation - only our online recommendation form will be accepted.)
- Most recent grade report
- Complete an online math diagnostic test. This will occur after you submit your CHAMP application online. Follow the link in your To Do list in your online application for instructions.
Please note: Students need to meet the criteria for the ACT, SAT, PSAT 8/9 or CogAT. Students need to take and submit scores for only one of these tests. An IQ test is also acceptable instead of these standardized test scores.
Although students may meet the minimum requirements, it does not guarantee acceptance. All applications will go through a holistic review process.
Students must reapply every year (except Year 1 to Year 2 academic students) to be accepted into the program. Acceptances cannot be deferred and are only valid for the year the application was submitted and approved.