Mathematics, Science, and Technology at Michigan State University
DATES: July 9-July 22, 2017
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 3, 2017
MST@MSU is a two-week residential or commuter program for academically talented students who are currently in 7th, 8th, or 9th grade (during the 2016-17 school year) and who are at least 12 years old. The focus is on mathematics, science, and technology, as well as applications in these areas. The goal is to match the intellectual abilities of talented adolescents with rigorous and challenging course work which provides enrichment, but does not duplicate or accelerate course work that is part of the regular K-12 school curriculum.
Although academic study and preparation are the main considerations of MST@MSU, careful attention has been given to providing a safe and pleasant environment that includes opportunities for social, athletic, and other extra-curricular activities.
The program coordinators and resident advisors (RAs) are graduates or current MSU students, who are responsible for providing a comfortable and friendly atmosphere in the residence hall. The RAs have been selected because they have a commitment to education and because of their ability to interact well with young people. Before the opening of the program, the RAs receive training in regard to rules, regulations, and safety requirements as related to the students’ welfare.
Students will also be placed in three different instructional groups, allowing many opportunities to establish new friendships and to interact with others in smaller groups.
MST 2016 Video
For a subtitled version of the video, go to: https://youtu.be/wb-kP4Mj5y0
- To experience active learning, as students investigate problems that can be solved through a better understanding of mathematics, science, engineering, and technology
- To focus on an intensive area of study, allowing for interdisciplinary research using tools of mathematics, science, and technology
- To link the tools of many career fields, as focus is given to real world problems
- July 9, 1:00-2:30 pm: Registration
- July 9, 3:00-4:00 pm: MST@MSU Orientation for students, parents, faculty and staff
- July 10-21: MST@MSU classes in session from 9:00 am to 4:15 pm on Monday – Friday for the two weeks of the program
- July 15-16: Team building activities, Saturday night dance, and field games!
- July 22, 8:30 am-9:15 am: Checkout of residence hall
- July 22, 10:00 am-12:00 pm: Closing program for participants, parents and guardians
- 7:00 am: Wake up for residential students
- 7:45 am: Breakfast
- 8:20 - 8:35 am Commuter students arrive at drop-off
- 9:00 - 11:00 am: Morning academic class
- 11:30 am: Lunch
- 12:30 - 2:30 pm: Afternoon academic class
- 3:00 - 4:15 pm: Workshop
- 4:15 - 4:30 pm: Walk to pick-up/dorms
- 4:30 - 4:45 pm: Commuter student pick-up*
- 5:00 - 6:15 pm: Dinner for residential students and extended day students
- 6:15 - 6:30 pm: Extended day commuter student pick-up*
- 6:30 - 9:30 pm: Study period or planned group activity for residential students
- 10:00 pm: All students in rooms, preparation for the next day
- 10:30 pm: Lights out
* Parents cannot pick-up comuter students between 4:45 pm and 6:15 pm. Parents must adhere to pick-up time frames listed above.